rash after one week

Dear Dr's, My wife started taking AZT/3TC one week ago for prevention of transmission to baby at 32 weeks pregnancy. She had no side effects at all and in good spirits for the last week. Yesterday, she started to develop slight red blotches on her thighs, stomach and is itchy. Could this be related to the AZT/3TC after first week of no symtoms or something else? If it is related to the drugs, how long will it last? Her CD4=518, VL=30,100 taken 3 weeks ago and generally in good health.

Thank you ahead for your response.

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Virtually any drug can cause a skin rash, but it is uncommon for AZT and 3TC to cause one. Therefore it is difficult for me to certain about your wife's rash, and if it continues to be troublesome I strongly suggest that you contact her health care provider. The drugs which can cause rash more commonly include the non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors, amprenavir, abacavir and zalcitabine (DDC).

What are
How Common