Trizivir affecting nerves in bladder?

Dear Doctor:

Could Trizivir be the cause of losing the sensation of knowning when to urinate? I have been on Trizivir since March of this year (my first antiretroviral after AIDS diagnosis in January). I find that I no longer know when I need to urinate and never feel the sensation to do so. My body gives me absolutely no sign. When I do go, it's hard to begin urinating and I'm usually surprised to find my bladder so full. Does this specific problem point to the Trizivir or could it be something else? I am also on Mepron, Neurontin, Clonazepam and have just added a beta blocker and aspirin after a recent heart attack. However, this problem has been going on for a couple of months now and started before my heart attack of two weeks ago. My doctor doesn't give my "urination" problem too much importance and points to the labs (BUN, etc.) saying that he doesn't see a problem. I'm also retaining a little liquid in my lower legs but it disappears after laying down for a few hours? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I am treated at a large public hospital and the doctors are overworked and never have time to listen to questions. They take my blood, read the labs (most of the time), and tell me that everything is fine as long as the numbers are close to "normal" range. Am feeling a little lost and overwhelmed sometimes. Living with this virus is definitely possible, but it's not as peachy as the upbeat articles I read on the Net that make it sound as easy as swallowing a few pills just before running the marathon. Good luck to all with this illness!

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Your symptoms of urinary hesitancy and difficulty voiding are not commonly described with antiretroviral therapy, including Trizivir. However, I think they are very significant and merit attention. I assume that you are male, and therefore your prostate gland becomes an important concern. I strongly suggest that you mention your symptoms to your health care provider. It will be important for you to have a prostate exam, to have a post-void residual checked by placing a catheter into your bladder, and to have a prostate specific antigen blood test done. Good luck!

Is my Neuropathy Permanant?
RE:Ziagen hypersensitivity