Jul 22, 2001
what sort of brain damages could be from HIV and HIV treatment?
| Response from Dr. Henry
The brain is involved in two general ways. The first is by direct HIV involvement which can cause a dementia like picture or a type of aseptic meningitis. The other indirect mechanism is what is seen in late stage HIV infection (AIDS) when the immune system is very weakened. Then various infections (such as toxoplasmosis or cryptococci) or tumors (lymphoma) can cause brain injury. Treatment of HIV rarely involves the brain other than some side effects such as what is seen with efavirenz (unusual dreams, etc.). KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Purple Spots After Fingering Stripper Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore On Penis After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Giving A Bj Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Licking Anus Worried I Have HIV
- Does Apple Cider Vinegar Get Rid Of Genital Warts?
- Is Having Hpv Worse Than An Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.