Nausea - Scared to throw up

After 3 month holiday from Crixivan/Combivir, I am in my fourth week of Kaletra/Combivir. Some GI distress but has been managable. However, I have encountered extreme nausea and bloating an hour after taking my morning dose. Most of the time I can hang in there and get through it. There have been occassions where the only relief is found by tossing my cookies. To the point - how long do the meds have to stay down before there is complete absorption? Last week and this morning, I tossed about 1 1/2 hours after my dose? If this only happens every once in a while, do I run the risk of becoming resistant? I am simply having a reaction to the peak in my system from the drugs?

Thank you for all support!

Response from Dr. Boyle

First, you should discuss this with your doctor and ask him about an anti-nausea, anti-emetic, anti-bloating medication (e.g. Reglan). Second, if you've kept the pills down over an hour and there is no evidence of capsules or tablets in your vomitus, you should be OK, but otherwise, you should take the pills again. Finally, the zidovudine (AZT) in the Combivir or the Kaletra may be causing the problem and if the problem persists you should consider a treatment change of one or both of these agents.

facial wasting
which drugs