Can HIV treatment cause mental problems?

Do you know if the use of anti viral drugs can cause mental problems? I've been using Combivir and Viramune for over two years know and I have the feeling that my mental stability is fading away. I'm feeling very insecure of myself, am stressed and suffer panic attacks. Can this be caused by my treatment?

Best regards.

Response from Dr. Bartlett

It is difficult to be absolute in this circumstance; I believe that it is possible for your symptoms to be related to your antiretroviral treatment. Are you taking any other medications? Sometimes drugs like Viramune can increase the metabolism of other medications such as Xanax. Are there other precipitants for stress in your life? I suggest reviewing these symptoms with your health care provider, and if no other causes can be identified, perhaps a change in your regimen would be most sensible. Good luck!

Any news on clinical studies for silicone for facial wasting
A good antiviral regimen for recovery from neuropathy