side effects of sustiva/epivir

Hi my brother has just started treatment 3 weeks ago but at that time he had already been given a aids diagnosis with a cd4 count of 40 and a viral load of over a million. My question is why is he having so many of the side effects such as fever, stomach pain, nausea, fatigue, he just seems to be crying all the time and he is always so very low. It's not like him since he went through chemo for lymphoma and did ok with it had some side effects of the chemo but always stayed pretty strong although he was not on any hiv meds at that time he wanted to deal with one thing at a time but this very sad guy really has me worried please help.

Response from Dr. Bartlett

I am sorry that your brother is suffering. GI distress can be reported with virtually all antiretroviral medications, but it is not especially common with these two. Your brother's depression may be related to Sustiva. Usually these symptoms improve after 2-3 weeks, but your description of their severity and persistence make me worried. I think it is very important to contact his health care provider and discuss his regimen.

Sustiva, Zerit & Epivir side effects
Any news on clinical studies for silicone for facial wasting