Just a comment -- good news!

I am a 40-year old male, HIV+ for 16 years, AIDS for 4 years (based on CD4 of 44, thrush, wasting). Until recently I was taking RTV/SQV/DDI/D4T/NVP, a total of 40 pills daily including the other meds for side effects. My CD4 has ranged between 200 and 250 for the last year, and the viral load has been <26 copies for 3 years. Out of fear of cardiovascular and liver problems and worsening fat redistribution, my doctor switched the PIs for Abacavir. I am now taking only 15 pills a day, and no longer have diarrhea. Also taking anabolic steroids to fight fatigue, which I think is resolving. And the medical combination is working! My viral load is still undetectable, and my CD4 are over 300! My cholesterol and triglycerides dropped 75% in one month! I just wanted to share the good news with someone. Who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to manage a full time job again!

That is good news. A recently reported Swiss study (Opravil et al at the 7th Retrovirus meeting) found comparable HIV effect between continuing the PI and switching to abacavir but improved lipid levels and a greatly simplified drug regimen. Also, the PIs are then available for later use. KH

sick all of the time!
Treatment Regimens for New HIV Dx.