Buffalo Hump

I have developed "Buffalo Hump" on my back. It has been growing slowly for almost 2 years. Over the past 8 - 10 months, it has really bothered me, but my doctor insist that in time it will go away. He has changed my meds to....sustiva, ziagen, epivir, hivid, and have been on these combinations for almost a year. The problem does not seem to be getting any better, as a matter of fact it seems to be growing , and at times it seems to bother me more than other times. I have scheduled an appointment for liposuction in late January, and was wondering if there has been any new development I should know of before going under the knife........Thanks

The buffalo hump could be related to the ddC and/or 3TC as the most likely drugs. I have observed improvements in the buffalo humps during a drug holiday if that is an option from the HIV control stand-point. Use of oral hypogylemic drugs and growth hormone are under investigation for the treatment of fat distribution abnormalities (check with your local HIV researcher). Surgery can provide at least transient cosmetic benefit. The good news is that this problem is now getting the attention it deserves so I expect more answers and fixes over the next several years. Keith Henry, M.D.

HOW TO GET RID OF lipodystrophy SAFELY?
Loss of facial & other body fat