STILL DOUBTS ABOUT LIPODISTROPHY

I'm diagnosed VIH A2. I'm not under medication.I'd like to know which family of meds cause lipodistrophy (proteasa or transciptasa inhibitors):one ,both or when they are taken together? Have all the medicines the same probability of causing lipodistrophy ? If so, which don't.Are all the meds efficient to VIH A2?

Response from Dr. Bartlett

The decision to start therapy is a very important one, and you should discuss the issues with your health care provider carefully. There is not a "best" first regimen- the good news is that there are excellent alternatives. Lipodystrophy is a group of disorders including accumulation of fat in the central body with loss in the arms and legs, elevated lipids, and in a few patients, diabetes. Drugs from all three major classes can contribute to individual facets of the lipodystrophy syndrome, so there is no simple and absolute formula. I strongly suggest reviewing these issues in depth with your health care provider.

Side effect Ziagen
Sleeping tablets and meds