HAIR LOSS

Dear Dr,

I was diagnosed HIV+ in 1987. Since 1995 I was on AZT and 3TC and stayed on these drugs until Jan 2001. I have experienced no side effects, but my viral load was increasing, indicating resistance.

I've been on Stocrin, Norvir and Crixivan for almost six weeks now. My CD4 count at the start of therapy was 27 and the viral load was too high to be tested (all the lab could say was that it is in excess of 750,000).

Since starting the new therapy I have noticed quite a bit of hair loss, so much so that other people are also noticing it.

Can this be due to the drugs and if yes, how do I stop it? Is this reversible?

Thanks,

Ian, South Africa

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Ian, Crixivan has been associated with hair loss and it may be responsible for your symptoms. I suggest that you review your hair loss with your health care provider, and together you can weigh the pros and cons of continuing the Crixivan. It may be possible to substitute another protease inhibitor for the Crixivan in your regimen.

vieny legs pt 2
Side effect Ziagen