Worried wife

My husband has a ND viral count but a CD4 count of only 130. Back in 1996 his CD4 count was only 11, with a high viral count. Is this good? What is his long-range prognosis?

Good question. The natural history of what happens to people with HIV infection has been markedly altered with potent therapy. A CD4 count of 130 is not ideal of course but is hugely better than 11. The low viral load probably means his situation is better than what the CD4 count seems to indicate. If he is on prophylaxis for PCP and has optimal vitamin, nutrition, and hormonal status then he is even better off. I have scores of patients in that situation and I believe that most of those folks will enjoy good health over the next 3-5 years+. It is hard to look much further into the future than that! Keith Henry, M.D.

IS AZT AND RESCRIPTOR A GOOD COMBINATION
Bruising after blood test