MED ASSISTANCE FOR HIV+ FOREIGN STUDENT

Dear Doc. Henry Keith I am an University student, recently I got a scholarship to Minnesota University so I am planning to travel to the U.S by the end of the year. I have a J-Visa which is for foreign students but I wonder about my HIV+ condition. Since health insurances do not cover neither medication nor labs essays regarding HIV attention. I am already taking antiviral therapy and my health is great -- I am concerned how to get a prescription or just in case I needed more specific assistance. Thank you very much for any information about this particular case.

The US health care system is a sorry mess with good points and bad points. Fair payment for prescriptions can be a problem. Many docs here (myself included) would be happy to see you and write for your prescriptions -- the problem is who would pay for them. You might consider checking with an HIV case manager here who could do some research about what options are available for coverage for the drug costs. Keith Henry, M.D.

Another Foreign Student
Cramp