Unusual symptoms....

Dr. Henry, I am having some unusual symptoms that has baffled my HIV specialist. These symptoms started in late September of 1999. Whenever I had sex, and always after after ejaculation I would experience a dull pain in my testicles along with hardness of the epididymis. These symptoms would always subside after 40 minutes to an hour. No other time than having sex would I experience these symptoms. I tested positive in October of 1999, so was positive when these symptoms started. (was tested based on other symptoms fatigue/flu like symptoms). As result of my testing positive, my sex activity became nonexistent because of depression, fatigue and the side effects of my drug combo. However, since late march of this year I have resumed having sex and these symptoms have returned. I visited my physician and he examined me and found no abnormalities with my testicles. I mentioned to him that in the summer of 1999 I had epidiymitis which was treated with antibiotics and went away. He felt that they were not related because the pain only occurred during sex. I also told him that I thought my testicles had become smaller in the past few months. He could not determine a cause of the symptoms and advised me that if they symptoms continued he would refer me to urologist. They have continued and I plan to discuss it with my doc at our next appt. My question is do you think this is related to my HIV infection? I was not sure if this was the right forum to submit this question. Thank you for any advice.

First I would get the input from the urologist who specializes in that. It sounds like pain when the vas deferens or epididymus contracts upwards during sex as the testicle retracts. Sometimes that is a residual of an infection in that area and would be unlikely due to HIV infection per se. You might also want to have your total/free testosterone levels checked. Keith Henry, M.D.

Therapee ;-)
use of phenotype for AIDS