Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Swollen Lymph Nodes
Mar 15, 2000

Hi there,

with regard to SLN's would you expect this to occur approx. 1 year after infection and only be in the Neck area. Why would this be localized rather than generalized if the infection is in all of the body. The nodes have now been swollen for a few years although are not painful just 'small' and hard. If I get a tooth coming through they then become even larger!

Response from Dr. Henry

Good question. There is a lot of variability from person to person regarding the pattern of swollen lymph nodes = SLN per your email. SLN can be a sign of HIV infection itself, of other infection, other disease processes (such as lymphoma), or actually of an improving immune system after anti-HIV therapy is started and the immune system begins to build itself up again. The neck and groan are particular hotbeds of SLN as they capture drainage from areas (the mouth or the rectal/genital area) which are often full of germs. I often see patients a year or so after infection who still have some SLN in the neck. It is noteworthy to follow but generally not alarming to me (I check for oral health and try to optimize gum/tooth hygiene) but I follow what happens over the next several years. Keith Henry, M.D.

Previous
lymph nodes.
Next
mitochondrial toxicity

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.