Painful Lymph Nodes/Spleen

I have been infected for 26 months. Not on medication because my t-cells are over 1000 and viral load always undetectable. However, I have very painful and enlarged lymph nodes in my groin, axillary, abdominal, femoral, neck, arms, and rib cage. My doctor says this is because my body is doing a good job of fighting the virus. However, I have to take many pain killers, I do not sleep well because of the pain, and take about three hot baths a day to ease the pain. Would it be better to take some medication just to give my lymphatic system a break!! Spleen is also painful and I have some dizziness and malaise.

Good question! Assuming no other cause is likely then HIV can do that in some persons. Treatment of HIV can have a variable impact -- sometimes the nodes will go down and sometimes they enlarge due presumedly to an enhanced immune system. In your case it could go either way abut may abe worth a short therapeutic trial for 3-6 months. If you are satisfied then continue otherwise stop. Keith Henry, M.D.

submandibular glands?
lymph nodes