HIV causes thinner blood vessels?

Dear Dr,

I'm a doctor from Asia. I have a patient who was infected 20 months ago. He has never taken any anti-hiv medicine. I noticed that his blood vessels in both arms are becoming much thinner than that of one year ago. He also has yellow-colored urine for the past 3 months.

Do you think that HIV can cause these problems?

Thanks!

Dr. Chua

HIV (and its treatment) have been linked to loss of fat in the arms and around blood vessels but generally that makes the blood vessels look the same or bigger. I am not aware of any consistent observation of blood vessels getting smaller other than perhaps in the setting of wasting syndrome. Yellow urine could perhaps be a tip-off to a liver problem or dehydration/wasting. Keith Henry, M.D.

Back Pain
Pulmonary Embolism, Heparin, Warfarin Treatments