Overcoming Diarrhea with the use of Calcium supplement.

Actually, this isn't a question, but a helpful hint to the on-going distress of diarrhea caused by almost all HIV drugs. I have found that the intake of 500mg Calcium TID (500mg, AM & 1000 mg, PM if preferred) the most helpful of all. I was having severe diarrhea although I was taking Tincture of Opium and Imodium. I happened to stumble onto this possible remedy in an article in POZ. I was amazed after only 2-3 days. I still have sudden urges, but almost never the loose stools I had thought I was going to be plagued with for the rest of my life. I am very thankful. I have been on this program since Dec. 99 and am still doing well. I must be careful of very rich or spicy foods, but even those I can eat in moderation. I hope this can be of use to others.

Sincerely, Lew S.

PS. Dr. Henry, I was a patient of yours in the early studies of DDI & DDC at The U of MN. Yes, I'm still holding my own after almost 14 years of diagnosis.

Thanks -- many of my patients have also noted that benefit from Calcium (which is a good idea to take anyway to help bone strength and perhaps blunt neuropathy). Keith Henry, M.D.

Bloating
Persistent GI problems