Intense Gas

Ever since I became POZ and started on Meds (Combivir and Viramune), I have had an increasing problem with gas and over-rumbling in my intestines. The gas is constant, all day long, and smells terrible. Is there anything I can do to help this? I assume it is a side effect of the meds. I've tried all the extra strength GasX, and other over-the-counter meds. Nothing would stop this obnoxious gas. It gets in the way of socialization because most of the time, I cannot control it. When it needs to come out, it does! All help, suggestions, comments would be appreciated. Thank you!

Your particular combination is usually as gas friendly as most. AZT can do that sometimes but it sounds like it is working HIV-wise for you (or is it?). You might try yogurt or some of the GI health advice in the book Healing HIV by Jon Kaiser. Have you been checked for lactose intolerance which can do the same thing? Keith Henry, M.D.

Constipation and Gas! Yuck!
Lactose