viramune

I read your response to using viramune and having problems with a rash. I used viramune for 3 weeks, one week after the dose escalation I got a mild rash (spots all over the body and awful itching) and a fever of 100-101.5 and flu-like symptoms. I now have a new doctor, he thinks I can safely re-challenge the viramune as long as I take the stuff to prevent rashes in the first place (is it cortizoids?). Do you think it is wise to re-challenge? If I do I know enough to stop if things get out of hand.

Thanks

It is unclear how to approach the use of drugs to prevent the rash/hypersensitivity syndrome. I would suggest use of benadryl instead of corticosteroids. It sounds like you had quite a time of it the first go around. ALthough I could imagine being in a situation to try it again, I would first look at alternative regimens should you decide you want to be back on therapy. Again, since you had constitutional symptoms (fever and flu-like symptoms) I would not advise use of Viramune except under unusual circumstances. Keith Henry, M.D.

dry skin & hair color change
Videx and Diarrhea