Post Nasal Drip

Dear Doctors,

Is there any reason one would experience post nasal drip or a stuffy head after being HIV+? I have been poz for over a year now and have this constant flow of mucous in the back of my throat! Also feel like my head is stuffed up. What causes this. My numbers are ok so not on any meds for now. Had a sinusitis scan and that was negative too.

Thanks for your help Ron

It has been my impression that chronic allergic rhinitis and low grade infectious sinusitis are more common and difficult to clear in HIV+ persons. If the mucous is generally clear to light yellow it is more likely allergic and use of nasal steroid inhaler and/or drug like Allegra (non-sedating antihistamine) might be worth trying (as well as looking for triggering substances-dust, animal hair, etc). If the drainage is thicker with more color then an infection is more likely (bacterial, sometimes fungal) and target use of an antimicrobial agent on a trial basis might be worth doing. Keith Henry, M.D.

Dry Patch on Big Toe. Is it a fungus?
dry skin & hair color change