Nail discoloration

Doctors: I have been on Combivir and Ziagen for about two months now. My CD4's have gone from 454(21%) to 774(35), and my VL has gone from 21,000 to 75. However, I have gained 10 lbs despite exercise and my nails have begun to darken. Is this common and is there anything that I can do about either? LT

Gaining 10 lbs can be a good thing but one needs to exercise and eat properly so it is not just fat. One has to look at how low your weight was before and also do you have any hormonal abnormalities. Dark nails is reported particularly with AZT. I am aware of no fix for that. That combination has other advantages (simplicity, little risk for neuropathy or pancreatitis, preserving other treatment options, usually fat and lipid friendly) so I wouldn't be too quick to change to something different. Keith Henry, M.D.

combivir/ sustiva/ rash
hair loss & texture changes