Long-Term Elevated Liver Functions

For over a year now my liver functions have been very, very high. My doctor says we'll just continue to monitor them but was wanting a second opinion. My alkaline phosphatase is 157 (not that high), AST is 105(normal range 0 - 42) and ALT is 280 (normal range 0 - 48). I'm worried that these high numbers can be doing some severe damage to my liver. At times my liver hurts and I have to limit my cardio work due to the pain it causes. I'm on Norvir, Epivir and Sustiva. Thank you.

Do you have any evidence of hepatitis B or C? Also, any history of excessive alcohol or Tylenol intake?? If not then the likelihood is greater that the drugs could be involved. Norvir is often hard on the liver but is a key part of the HIV cocktail so -- a rock and a hard place unless a change to a more liver friendly regimen can be found. You may want the read the liver section of a book like Healing HIV by Jon Kaiser to get some ideas on whether any alternative medications (like milk thistle or N-acetyl cysteine ) could help. Also you may need to be evaluated for hepatic steatosis which is a fatty liver. Hope that helps you get started.

Keith Henry, M.D.

acute pancreatitis as side-effect of meds
Further information about