Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CHOLESTEROL AND HIV
Jun 26, 2000

Is there any connection with being HIV+ and cholesterol? My latest cholesterol test was 237 (LDL). I've been HIV+ since 1981, I weigh 175, 5'11", 38-years old. I've never had full-blown AIDS nor have gotten sick. Can someone have high cholesterol and NOT be fat? Thanks for your respond.

Response from Dr. Henry

You don't mention whether you are currently or have ever been on anti-HIV therapy. Ordinarily HIV infections and AIDS per se usually lead to a low cholesterol particularly the HDL (so-called good cholesterol) fraction. An LDL level of 237 is high and puts a person at increased risk for heart disease particularly if combined with a family history, cigarette use, lack of exercise, diabetes, or a high triglyceride level. Some of the HIV drugs have been linked to increases in the cholesterol and triglyceride levels. You definitely can have high cholesterol (In fact -- die of a heart attack) without being fat just like someone could get sick from HIV/AIDS without previously looking like they were sick. Your HIV doc would be a good person to further discuss the implications of the high cholesterol in the setting of your HIV infection. Keith Henry, M.D.

Previous
HIV+DIABETIC
Next
Toxic effects of antivirals

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.