Cardiac arrhythmia

A couple of days ago, I got into a cardiac arrhythmia situation that lasted for more than 12 hours. I probably had an irregular beat 5 times every minute. My face was flushed and I had a cold sweat and some difficulty breathing. I have been on nelfinavir, hydroxyurea, DDI, 3TC, and abacavir for a little over two years. Before that, I was on Crixivan, AZT and DDI for about two years. I have taken NRTIs in single and double combination therapy since the late 1980s. I have some trouble with diarrhea, but not severe (on average of two or three watery bowel movements per week). About a year and one-half ago, I had gotten fed up with the episodic irregular heartbeat situation and had a Holter monitor and stress test done by a cardiologist my primary care physician referred me to. The cardiologist found no structural problems with my heart and told me he had no answer as to what was causing the arrhythmia. I have taken myself off my medications in the last three days, and will call my doctor to schedule an appointment when the Memorial Day holiday is over. I am still experiencing the irregular heartbeat after three days, but now it's about every five minutes or so. I quit drinking caffeinated coffee a couple of years ago, and I have recently given up decaffeinated as well. I have been a daily marijuana smoker for years, but I have given that up recently, too. Do you think my meds may be directly causing the arrhythmia, or do you think it's due to the mild, yet fairly constant, digestive distress I'm under (and/or the decaf coffee and marijuana)? I do not drink alcoholic beverages, either.

I doubt that your HIV meds are responsible. Finding the source/cause of cardiac arrhythmias can be very frustrating. You have already identified many factors that bear on the issue. You don't mention which specific cardiac arrhythmia you have since that also bears on the possible causes. I would not blame the HIV meds at this point in time. KH

Elevated Pulse Rate
Avandia 4mg.