In response to Viracept Diarrhea

Dear Dr, Just wanted to comment on the person who was trying to work Immodium into their daily life on Viracept. My lover was having awful bouts of diarrhea with the medication. After reading many papers on the internet....in this forum mostly.... I put him on a combination of Glutamine, powder form, and Metamucil, which I hoped would absorb some of the water in the stool. Well I am no Doctor, and not sure really of his dose....maybe one huge tablespoon a day of both...(I think I made him take more in the beginning, this is a maintenance dose) and bingo....in a little over a month, his diarrhea went away 85%, mostly back to normal. Please pass this on, and maybe you could add a comment or two on dosing, but this worked. I also know there are other techniques I have read about, calcium, digestive enzymes, etc. The person who wrote in I am sure can do better than having to live on Immodium for the rest of their life. Diarrhea be gone! Big smile to you Doc!!

Response from Dr. Pavia

Here's another viracept coping strategy. There seems to be more experience and success with Bran tablets than immodium but both seem worth a try and may be preferable for some folks to using immodium. Metamucil can fill you up, so if appetite is a problem, don't take it before meals. There is a theoretical risk that metamucil would block absorption of some drugs, so it is best not to take it within 1 hour before your meds.

Sustiva and Employment
Follow up to the Question What is Viracept doing to my body?