Sustiva and Employment

Please help. I was told that sustiva can sometimes cause a false positive on a drug test. I am very curious about the answer because a lot of employers require drug tests. If so, can you tell me where to find out more?

Response from Dr. Cohen

Sustiva can cause a false positive test for marijuana with one type of test often used as a screening test, the CEDIA DAU multilevel test. If a confirmatory test is done, it will be negative, showing it is a false result. If you are willing to tell the person doing the test that you are on efavirenz (Sustiva) and that a confirmatory test will need to be done, it should be ok. However, that forces you to reveal your HIV status, which you may not want to do.

Remember, if the confirmatory test is positive, it will be assumed to be real. This is important because some people have figured that if they are smoking dope and have a positive test they can blame it on the Sustiva. That won't fly.

One source for getting more information is the manufacturer, Dupont Pharmaceuticals. They have a web site Sustiva.com and you can post questions to the company.

Good luck

hydrea once more
In response to Viracept Diarrhea