Severe itching

I have been HIV positive for over 18 years and have been through all of the complications and treatments that arise form hiv and medications. However, in the past month I've encountered something new. Everyday, I start to itch a spot that turns out to look like a bug bite. The itching at times can be unbearable. I've mentioned it to my doctor on two different office visits. He doesn't know what it could be and is absolutely certain that it is not related to any of my medications. I know that it is not bug bites because my partner has not had one and I've been in several different cities and still get them. I get them everyhere except my face(thankfully). Finally, my question is this...Can you explain them or should I ask my doctor to send me to a specialist. Thanks.

I've seen a number of patients with that complaint. It has been difficult to nail down why. Some patients with HIV develop high gamma globulin levels which sometimes are associated with pruritis. You don't mention which HIV meds you are on or where you live some tropical skin infestations can cause you complaints. I usually have patients see an HIV experienced dermatologist to best target the diagnosis and treatment approach in this setting. KH

likely progression of facial wasting
is hiv-antibody test paper 100 safe?