mucous in stools

I have no idea if this is HIV related or not. But since re-starting meds about 6 weeks ago I have been having a lot of mucous in my stools. Not only in my stools, but sometimes mucous just "seeps" out of the rectum. I am a 39 yo female, AIDS since 1995. Current meds are ziagen, viramune and ddi. Cd4 is about 300 at 18 at vl is 400. Theu mucous started about the same time I started meds, at that time, I was doing an STI, but vl went up to 62,000 which is why I have rechallenged the meds. Im wondering, could this be from meds, immune reconstitution, perhaps? Not only is this embarrassing, but the cramping is painful. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy, but would like to know what your thoughts are. Thanks J

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Dear J, I am very sorry to hear about these symptoms. Any antiretroviral medication can cause GI problems, and in your regimen, I think that DDI would be the most likely culprit for gas or diarrhea. But, the mucous you describe would be very atypical. I think it is very important that you pursue the colonoscopy as suggested. Good luck!

diabetes questions
Stopping medication