Lowering HAART Induced Cholesterol

Hi, Since going on a HAART regime of Videx EC, Crixivan, Combivir and Norvir, I have experienced increases in cholesterol and triglycerides. We first tried 20 mg. of Pravachol which had no effect. For five weeks, I have been on an increased dosage to 40 mg. Total cholesterol has barely lmoved, from 260 to 261, but the good has gone from 38 to 42 and triglycerides have come down from 430 to 202. Bad cholesterol is at 178 and a reading could not be taken before. My doctor now wants to try 40 mg. Lipitor in lieu of Pravachol. Is this likely to produce better results? Thank you. Gary

Atorvastatin is usually more effective in this setting partly due to the fact that atorvastatin levels may be increased by the PIs (esp Norvir). I would recommend starting on a lower dose of atorvastatin (ie 20 mg). Fenofibrate maybe effective at reducing the triglycerides. Often the bad cholesterol level is hard to measure in the face of high triglycerides so special testing has to be done. There maybe some increased risk for muscle or liver toxicity when these drugs are used together so that needs to be monitored. KH

Numb skin
fat loss with testosterone