Osteoporosis? Calcium Supplements & HAART Meds

Today, I had an Osteoporosis screening as part of a Healthfair here at work, and my test result was marginally osteopenic. I am on Viracept, Combivir & Diflucan. Is there a connection to these meds (the Dr. said this was possibly a result of being on prednizone for meningitis 2 years ago)? Do you know if calcium supplements may interfere with my HIV meds? Also, I must tell you this resource is amazing. You all are angels on earth!!!

Osteoporosis in this setting is being more frequently recognized. The etiology is unclear. Chronic poor eating/exercise habits, overuse of carbonated beverages, lack of modest sunlight, low testosterone levels all can contribute to the problem. It is unclear what aspect of HIV infection and or treatment further contributes (conflicting data on that). Making sure that one has good Ca+ intact (an Oscal +/- vitamin D is a good start), exercise, and hormone levls and minimizing use of carbonated beverages are good practical suggestions for now. KH

mushy muscles
coinfection with HTLV?