mushy muscles

Hi, it's a great forum you have. My question is: my muscles are loosing their integrity, or original form and becoming mushy, and in so doing, loosing their strength. It's sometimes seems like maybe they're being starved of food- if you can see what I mean. As a result, I'm getting weaker. I've noticed it mainly with my butt. Over the past 7 weeks it seems to be getting weaker and weaker, becoming more and more flaccidthere seems to be a relationship with muscle twitching and this phenomena. I've noticed it with other muscles as well. Do you know of anything, which might be going on? I've recently started 'the cocktail', my viral load is 682 and cd4 224- as of May 17-2001. Please help before I become Pinocchio.

Michael - Toronto Canada

Muscle irritation/damage due to HIV drugs themselves usually takes a while to develop (such as the myopathy seen with AZT). You don't mention which cocktail you are on (that would help me to better pinpoint the problem). Low hormone levels (testosterone, thyroid) can contribute as could poor nutritional status (protein, vitamins) and exercise. You need to have your overall weight and body mass index (BMI) evaluated and followed. Again, it would be unusual for what you describe to be attributable to the short term use of HIV meds. KH

safe sexual activity
Osteoporosis? Calcium Supplements & HAART Meds