Androgens Cause Facial Wasting?

I read a response to a recent question where you said testosterone could have some implication in facial wasting. I have not heard this before. Does that mean that all androgens such as oxandrin (which I also take) could play some role in this? If so, this would be very upsetting since alot of people are using both of these to supplement weight gain, etc. and no one has ever mentioned this to me. My face has sunken in alot but I thought it was due to the medications and maybe just having HIV for a long time.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Yes, anabolic steroids have the potential to exacerbate fat loss and peripheral/facial wasting. Take a close look at some weight lifters and wrestlers (many of whom use anabolic steroid supplements) and you'll see that many have fat loss in their cheeks. In general, I try to avoid these in patients with fat loss.

Heart Surgery
Possible HGH Risk?