side effectes

Hi this is my first time on your web side I live outside the USA I am HIV+ and I am on Crixivan/combivir I stopped the treatment for some time and now my doc tolled me I should start again but the side effectes of the Crixivan is much stronger u think I should ask my Doc to switch to another treatment or thos side effectes will go away soon thanx

Response from Dr. Boyle

If you had significant side effects on the Crixivan/Combivir regimen, you should consider asking your doctor which medication was likely to cause the side effects (likely to be either the Crixivan or the Retrovir (AZT) in the Combivir) and whether it is possible to change you to something else. If it is likely to be the Crixivan, you could change to another protease inhibitor or, if you have not been on a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor, you could change to Sustiva/Stocrin (efavirenz). If, on the other hand, it is likely to be the Retrovir causing the problems, and you haven't been on Zerit (d4T) or Videx (ddI), you could consider changing to a regimen that includes one or both of those agents. Resistance testing may also be advisable under certain circumstances, and you should discuss this with your doctor as well. You don't give many details regarding the side effects or your treatment history, so it is difficult to say much more than that or be more specific. Good luck.

Tested -ve after 60 days
Cognitive disorder