What's wrong with my back?

I am a 44 year-old male who was diagnosed in 1994 with a T-cell count of 9. I have been through several very critical illnesses but am now pretty healthy except for my back. About 3 years ago I started to experience back pain. I hadn't done anything particurlarly taxing which of course was the first question I was asked when I visited my doctor. She ordered an x-ray, CT scan, and an MRI in that order, all of which showed no physical cause for this. I am now being treated with MS Contin along with Percocet for breakout pain. If I miss a dose of my pain meds the pain becomes so severe that I have to stop whatever I'm doing and take a dose and lie down until the medicine starts to work. I really wish that we could get to the root of the cause of this because I'm concerned with having to take narcotics on a daily basis for possibly the rest of my life....??? from Richard

Response from Dr. Boyle

Tough to say without knowing exactly where in your back the pain is, getting more history, seeing the tests and examining you, but it may be medication related (e.g., indinavir can cause low back pain as a result of renal sludging, crystalization and possibly stones and AZT can cause muscle injury/pain), referred from another source (e.g., pancreatitis), neuropathic, or from some other source. I'd suggest that you see a rheumatologist, and if the workup remains completely negative, consider seeing a pain management specialist and a physical therapist to control the pain and maximize your activity level.

OK Guy
antibody testing...