Is reversing lypoatrophy possible?

Dear Doctors,

I had been taking meds (most recently Epivir, Viracept and Zerit) for 4.5 years and was becoming distressed by the increasing loss of fat in my legs, butt and then my face. My doctor agreed to try a drug holiday and I've been med free for 8 months now but have seen no reversal of the lypoatrophy. I'm taking vitamins and supplements like CoQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Antioxidants, have cut my exercise regimen down so that I would not burn so much fat and even increased the amount of fat in my diet but nothing seems to be changing. I'm only gaining love handles! Is there anyway to regain the subcutaneous fat that I have lost in the rest of my body while I maintain this drug holiday?

Nearly desparate for advice. Thanks.

The etiology of fat wasting in the setting of HIV infection is uncertain and controversial. There is little data that stopping HIV meds reverses the problem, in fact, usually stopping meds does not help much (a few cases have seen improvement). Some data suggests that aging, time since HIV infection, and even a good response to treatment of HIV infection can contribute to the problem. A common thread for all possibilities has not been found. One theory that is being tested is that insulin function is disturbed. Treatment with diabetes drugs such as metformin or one of the glitizides may help (little data-an ACTG study soon to open will be looking at that). I would only maintain the drug holiday if you are doing OK from the HIV perspective. KH

facial wasting
where to find info. about the blood