Sustiva and the Heart

Thanks for this service. I have been taking Sustiva and Combivir for about 2 years. It seems that my heartbeat seems to increase after taking my Sustiva. I am in pretty good health (a little overweight), but no other real health problems. I've noticed this problem off and on for sometime now, but am now thinking it could be more serious. Heartrate seems to jump to abou106 bpm. Could this be the HIV meds?

Thaks

Response from Dr. Boyle

The increase in heart rate you are describing is curious, but not alarming. Listed as a potential adverse event in the package insert for Sustiva is "palpitations" or rapid heart beat, but I've never had a patient report this side effect and it is very uncommon, if it is related to Sustiva at all. You should discuss this with your doctor and have him/her review your medications for any possible interaction (but it's hard to believe that a drug interaction would occur in the manner you're describing) and consider obtaining an EKG whne you take the Sustiva to evaluate what's happening. Is this possibly an anxiety reaction to taking antiretrovirals? You don't mention the timing of the increase in heartbeat, but if it occurs immediately after taking your antiretrovirals (and there are no other side effects), this becomes more likely. The bottom line is I would discuss this with your doctor, but I would not be terribly concerned about it unless it worsens (which is unlikely) or some other symptoms occur.

Subtype testing
eye nerve pressure due toHIV or side effects from meds