Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can HIV cause a chocolate cyst causing double vision
Jun 8, 2016

Been POS for 25+ years. Always had great vision with glasses. On 2-6-16, I had cosmetic eye surgery (raised lids above and removed bags below. I had severe swelling for 10+ days. At 1st follow-up appt, my doctor asked if I was a bleeder?? Immediately after surgery I developed double vision in my left eye. A MRI on 3-26-16 revolved a tumor behind my left eye. A second surgeon removed the tumor on May 6, 2016. The pathology report reveled it was a .5x.5x.4 "benign neoplasm of the left orbit, left eye orbitotomy, fibro membranous tissue with mild chronic inflammation and hemosiderin laden Macrophages consistent with benign cyst with hemorrhage. The second surgeon called this a "chocolate cyst" and lymphangioma. Immediately after the second surgery, my double vision had "doubled." Now I see double, looking left, right, up and down. 1. Could the chocolate cyst be caused by trauma from the 1st cosmetic surgery and develop within 30 days? 2. Can HIV cause a chocolate cyst which in turn causes double vision? At the follow up appt. the second surgeon (a friend of the 1st surgeon) implied the chocolate cyst was caused by HIV as "you guys grow funny things."

Response from Dr. Henry

I am not aware of published data linking HIV infection to benign lymphangiomas as you describe. Kaposi's sarcomas of course has been linked to HIV infection as have malignant lymphomas. Oral lymphangiomas have been reported in HIV positive persons but a clear link between HIV infection and benign lymphangiomas has not been established. KH

Previous
Frequency of VL/CD4 counts
Next
Looking for answers related to Kaposi Sarcoma and HIV or AIDS.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.