Return of Sustiva Side Effects

There was a recent question concerning the return of Sustiva side effects after 18 months of therapy. I noticed that quitting smoking greatly increased the return of the Sustiva side effects for 2 months again; just like when I first started taking it.

Response from Dr. Boyle

That's interesting and I have not seen it reported elsewhere. There is no doubt that in some patients the Sustiva side effects do occasionally return, although they generally fade or go away again. The exact reasons for this occurring have not been defined, but in some of my patients, changing other medications, changes in timing of the dose or taking the dose with a meal have been the most notable factors. Perhaps nicotine may be involved as well, especially a sudden withdrawal of it. Glad to hear it worked out though and that your side effect symptoms went away again.

hypercortisolism and lipodystrophy
Night Time Iching