Out of Viramune, can I take only Turvada for month?

Dr. Henry - Due to finances and no prescription benefits on my healthcare, I have been orderring generics fo Viramune and Truvada from out of the country. There was a delivery failure and my current month of Viramune has been sent back to the out of country pharmacy. I will be without Viramune for 2 weeks to 1 month as that is the amount of time the shipping and delivery takes. I have 30 days of Truvada on hand. Am I better off taking Truvada alone or stopping all medication for the next 2 weeks to 30 days and re-starting when my Viramune arrives? Any guidance you have would be gretaly appreciated.

Good question for which data is limited. If your viral load was fairly low to start with (ie < 50,000) and you have no history of resistance and recent lab tests showed HIV level < level of detection then continuing the Truvada might be reasonable. Otherwise would generally recommend stopping all meds together and then restarting them together recognizing that the viral load likely will rebound over a month period of time (some patients may develop symptoms and safe sex is recommended in that situation as well). Recommend discussing with your HIV provider who knows you best. KH

back to old meds
ever resistant