Numbness in toes and feet.

Are my HIV meds causing numbness in my toes and feet, or is it my psych meds? I take Isentress-400mg, Edurant-25mg,and Emtriva-200mg.(The one I started on most recently, in January 2014 is the Edurant.) My psych meds are Zyprexa-15mg(which was increased from 10mg in April 2014),Ritilan-20mg, and Prozac-20mg. I first noticed the numbness in my toes and feet about 2 weeks ago.

Symmetric numbness in toes and feet has dome of the features of peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral neuropathy can be seen in HIV infection (more common if low CD4 count i.e. << 200) and is occasionally seen with new HIV meds but the incidence is much lower that what was observed in the D4T, ddI and AZT days of therapy in the US. Other conditions (such as vitamin deficiency, peripheral vascular disease, vasospasm, certain vitamin deficiencies, hormone adnormalities) and non HIV medications (such as the TB drug isoniazid) can cause or worsen peripheral neuropathy. A complete history and physical and sometimes neurology consultation and tests (such as nerve conduction studies or X-rays looking for nerve impingement) are needed to sort out the possibilities and determine the most likely cause and how to approach treatment. Your current HIV regimen has not been commonly linked to symmetric peripheral neuropathy but there is not much published data or experience with your specific HIV drugs. KH

not undetectable yet
Viraday