Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Severe nausea with medication

Ive been positive since 1989, treatment started 1997, AIDS diagnosed about 10 years ago on a meds break when my numbers dropped below 200. No big problems or illness except side effects. I've been a symptomatic and pretty healthy, stable labs. I have always had a sensitive stomach but after taking all these pills for the past 17 years I think my stomach has finally had enough. It started a couple years ago with Atripla. Nausea and if I didn't get that dissolving Zofran in immediately, I'd end up vomiting for hours. Then we tried Stribild and after a while the same thing. I'm off everything till I see my ID doc next week, she plans on switching me to an older drug to see if that helps. I'm only taking Baclofen right now for my neck, been on 10mg for years. Not working as well so we bumped it to 20mg, nauseas back. I've been batteling this horrible nausea for going on three years and I am worn out! I can't take it anymore. To me, nausea is a form a torture, never ending torture. Is this what the rest of my life is going to be? (Please keep my name etc private)

Did the nausea clearly stop when you stopped your HIV Medications (if not then might look for other causes like H pylori infection, gallbladder dysfunction, liver disease, pancreatitis, excess intraabdominal fat and other conditions). Marijuana can sometime be effective for nausea related to HIV medications. Some new meds like dolutegravir may be worth considering depending on treatment history and your access to medications. In some extreme cases we have placed a feeding tube from the skin into the stomach and administered all the meds that way we variably but often good results. Researchers are also developing some HIV medications that can be given as an intramuscular injection (several years away at best though). KH

Stribuild and and Norvasc and Losartan Potassium
ALUVIA AND AMZID SIDE EFFECT