The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Gynecomastia Surgery Option
Mar 28, 2014

I've found countless articles and information on this forum concerning gynecomastia and it's causes, but very little information on treatment of the condition. I've been HIV+ for 17 years and during the course of treatment I developed gynecomastia. Lately, it has been bothering me in the sense of lowered self-esteem and embarrassment. Years ago, I did attempt to get it surgically corrected, but I failed to find a plastic surgeon to operate due to me having HIV. I live in the south and find many doctors tend to take a very conservative approach to treatment. I simply cannot accept living with gynecomastia any longer and I have the financial means to correct surgically. I understand many HIV drugs can potentially cause changes to fat distribution and body shape, but with that said, it's very frustrating having a medical professional tell you they are unwilling to correct the physical damage caused by these drugs. Are there any plastic surgeons that are willing to perform gynecomastia surgery to correct this condition?

Response from Dr. Henry

Many metropolitan areas in US have plastic surgeons that perform procedures on HIV+ persons. If you have a friend/family member or interest in a particular west coast, northeast, larger midwest cities, or Miami then I would contact a local HIV clinic or communnity based organization to see if you can get a referral and then arrange for a vist. there are surgeons with willingness and expertise in that area throughout the US in many larger cities. KH

Switching nevirapine to ritonavir/atazanavir with undetectable viral load.
CD 4 Count above 1,000

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint