Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unsettling Labs
Mar 27, 2014

Im a 57 year male and diagnosed just last year. I just got my recent labs and found some rather upsetting results, especially within the CBC. The following are the tests that were flagged abnormal: WBC - 11.7 x 1000 (H) MHC 34.5 pg (H) LYM% - 11.7% (L); LYMPH# 1.40 K\cumm (N) NEUT% - 83.1% (H); NEUT# 9.70 K\cumm (H) I have not been sick recently in fact I feel very well. No fever. In fact my temperature is always a little below normal, but have had some significant weight loss. Doctor check lymph nodes and all were normal there he says. My CD4 count and percentages were still well in normal range, 793 and 55% respectively although the absolute count did fall a little over 35% since the last test was done. Ironically however, the percentage increased 3%. Im not any ART. I decided in the beginning to not start such until I hit a cd4 count of 500. Now Im second guessing! My doctor suggests re-doing labs in 6 months and stated that he felt everything would most likely balance out. I have to say that I dont have a lot of confidence in this ID but I live in a very rural area and dont have a lot of options in that regards. He is an hour drive and the nearest other would be another hour. I sometimes feel like he really doesnt care and or that concerned because of my age. I dont know, maybe thats just me. I guess that is why Im asking for another opinion and would very much appreciate it. You experts on TheBody.Com helping us with your input is really amazing help since some doctors out there are just too busy or less caring. Thanks for all you do. ~JR

Response from Dr. Henry

The WBC count and lymphocyte count are quite variable even in the same person during a 24 hour period (and day to day as well) including in HIV negative persons. In the old days before we had HIV levels and tried to follow the trends in CD4 count to make treatment decisions we would make some effort to check the CD4 count at the same time of the day (there often is a diurnal variation with a 24 hour period). The levels you note are not clinically significant in most cases. KH

Previous
H. Pylori, can i stop haart ?
Next
Redness on the face.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.