CD 4 Build up
Mar 19, 2014
I have a friend whose CD 4 count was 1 and VL 230000 at the time of starting on medication (efavirenz) in January. How long might it take to build up the CD4 cells and reduce the VL?
Response from Dr. Henry
For the HIV level it may take up to 3-6 months for the HIV level to reach standard level of detection (< 50 copies) when starting that high assuming no resistance and good adherence to the medications. CD4 recovery is more variable with factors including age, CD4 nadir (1 is low), genetics, level of scarring in lymph tissue, size of active thymus gland, degree of onging of inflammation all influencing CD4 recovery. In general the lower the CD4 count the longer it takes to reach more reassuring levels (ie > 200 or > 350). KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- White Tongue Sign Of HIV Infection
- Blisters After Insertive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Testicles After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Jock Itch After Receiving Oral Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Ejaculation After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.