The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

False Positive
Mar 19, 2014

Hello, Every since I started taking Sustiva, back in 2002, I have been giving false positives to Cannabis. Since I do not smoke, I used to tell the person at the lab about my prescription or even faxed my prescription to the testing lab so they know what's going on. Last week I had a urine test for a job that I have been in a hiring process for the last two months. To my surprise, they did not ask for prescriptions and refused to take the info. They also refused to give me the fax number of the testing lab so I can fax the prescription. Today I got an embarrasing email from the employer asking me to contact the lab since they have been trying to contact me. I called and I got s Dr which basically told me if my prescription does not contain mariguana then I most be using mariguana. He treated me like I was a drug addict and refused to take my Atripla prescription. He did not know what Atripla was and basically told me: "If the medication is giving you a false positive, then stop taking the medication". He also advised that he will send the results to the employer as Positive for Cannabis. Is this a new practice from the labs?? This does sound fair. This is horrible, to loose a job opportunity for a misundestanding or lack of info from the lab. Any idea if this is a new regulation on labs?

Response from Dr. Henry

Recommend discussing with your HIV provider particularly whether she/he would write a letter describing the situation that can be provided to your employer. KH

Tenoforvir Disoproxil Side Effects

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint