Neuropathy

I have someone who started on medication (efaverenz and Duomune January 2014. Two weeks after start, he started getting numbness, burning sensation and piercing feeling on the fingers and toes. It has now intensified and he cant walk nor hold something. We suspect it is the medication, can we switch to an alternative?

Those symptoms are unlikely due to neuropathy from the HIV medicaitons. Efavirenz can cause some unusual nerve side effects particularly in the first weeks on treatment. HIV related nerve problems can also cause some of those symptoms and are more likely if the CD4 count is low (such as less than 100). Choices for alternative treatment may be limited where where you live but switching the efavirenz to nevirapine or lopinavir/ritonavir might be considered if efavirenz is believed to be a likely cause of the symptoms. Recommend that your friend discuss with his HIV doctor promptly. KH

My first O.I. already???
False Positive