2 part question.

1st, i've noticed i developed vertical groves in my finger nails, and one deep horizontal grove in my big toe nail. i'm on sustiva and combivir, less than 50 VL, cd4 255. could this be a side effect of meds or just hiv related? 2nd, i'm becoming very sensitive to the sun. i burn quickly with sores and itching. is this med related or hiv related? rc

The particular meds you are on don't generally cause those nail problems but I have seen it a few times with AZT (a part of Combivir) esp. in my African-American patients. If you are on a sulfa antibiotic for PCP prevention that can sensitize your skin to the sun (such as septra or dapsone). Occasionally patients seem to acquire sun sensitivity in the course of their treatment that I can't explain. KH

HAART and CDL license
hypercortisolism and lipodystrophy