HIV+ since 10/19/2009, Gastric Bypass 11/27/2007, CD4 320 High low 180 Undetectable Viral Load

The title pretty well sums the situation up. I have been having severe lower leg pain for the past 2 months. I have had a bone scan, CT, X-rays all with normal minimal amount of lumbar degeneration. Both lower and upper GI normal. I go for days where I am unable to eat much of anything other than toast. Eating anything other than toast results is extended periods of loose stools, and cramping and overall malaise. I do take b12 injections and d pearls. Long story short, is there a test that I have not taken that could indicate the effectiveness of the Atripla, which is the only other medication that I take. Could the fact that I had the Roux-en Y bypass be the reason for the CD4 that will not rise and the inability to easily digest foods a good portion of the time. I have asked all my docs the same question and receive no answer. The latest thought was to prescribe 10/32 oxycodone acetaminophen 2 tabs q8hrs PRN. To summarize, might I suggest a test or tests that would determine if the Atripla is maintaining appropriate levels in my system (thinking that b12 and d absorption is reduced). If so, what would that test or tests be and would you suggest any other test to determine the cause of the severe lower leg pain? I apologize for rambling.

The effectivenss of Atripla would be assessed by following your HIV levels-if remaining undetectable then one can assume that the drugs in Atripla are being adequately absorbed. There may be individual and hard to predict differences in absorption or gut side effect profile in patients with various gastric bypass procedures. In some cases levels of the drugs in the HIV regimen may need to be measured. Vitamin deficiencies can occur after gastric bypass surgery such as yours and can contribute to peripheral neuropathy in some cases.Vit B12 levels can also be easily determined with blood tests. Bypass surgery can have a variety of challenging problems develop though in my experience HIV paitents.KH

Supplements for Erectile Dysfunction
Muscle wasting