Reactive lymph nodes in neck - should I start ARV's

Hi, I have been HIV+ for 14 years not on ARV's. last CD4 was919 and VL 7500. Generally been a slow progressor. Had biopsy done on gland and come back negative for NHL & HL and Tick bite fever(I live in South Africa). But was told that because it is reactive then ART should start. For the last 4 weeks I was having a fever every hour now it is once a day. Glands still swollen but I am feeling slightly better. Do you agree that ART should start? Will my system crash if I don't start? Could the glands go back to normal in time with no treatment? I would appreciate your opinion. Regards, Fiona

Interesting and important situation. In South Africa need to be alert to possibilty of TB -I assume that has been carefully checked? For persons with modest viral loads and CD4 counts > 500 the benefit of starting HIV treatment still being assessed. The benefit as far as preventing classic AIDS problems is likely minimal. There may be a benefit from a more generalized health persepctive (decreasing inflammation may lower risk for future problems like heart disease or cancer) though magnitude/merit of that benefit still being established/studied. There is a clear benefit regarding decreasing risk to transmit HIV to another person via sex/needle sharing. Glands can swell from untreated HIV infection and may get better on HIV treatment though that still varies from person to person. Newly swollen glands may be a clue for a change in course of your HIV infection so monitoring is recommended though a huge drop in CD4 count/clinical crash does not happen very often (though it can happen). KH

dental
Long Term HIV Drug Adherence