Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Partnered to an HIV man and I am not HIV
Nov 20, 2013

I am partnered with a man who is HIV +. We practice safe sex but I know there are still some risks. He is very concerned about transmission. I have heard that sometimes partners of HIV infected people should take one of the meds such as Travada. Is there any truth to this?

Response from Dr. Henry

Partners of HIV+ persons may be candidates to be prescribed Truvada as a form of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PREP). The transmission risk from an HIV+ person doing well on HIV treatment (HIV level < 50 copies/ml) is low overall so it is unclear at this point what the benefit of PREP would be in that setting (proven benefit when partner has detectable HIV levels). Recommend discussing with your partners HIV doctor.KH

Previous
I have heard of taking antivirals for 5 days and then 2 days OFF...Do you know if this works?
Next
PEP after effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.